New Court House

The new Court House was built by William Arnold for the sum of $2,199, paid in three equal annual instalments. It was a brick building, two stories high, thirty four feet long by thirty feet wide. The first floor twelve feet high, and the second eight feet.

Ads

The bar was elevated eighteen inches above the lobby or audience floor, and the Judge's Bench,; as it was called, two feet higher than this. The lobby floor was made of brick, closely laid and cemented together. From the bar ascended the flight of stairs to the jury rooms above.

This was held to be an ample and commodious building-the sanctum over which the goddess of Justice was to preside and inspire the long successive line of law interpreters and dispensers with the knowledge of the distinction between right and wrong.

People who visits New Court House, also may find interest in following articles . . .

William Arnold Log Home

It is located at 214 North Main St. behind the Baptist Church Circa 1811, was home of the founder of Williamstown. A handmade sign greets visitors as they walk in the door. William Arnold was a...

The First Schools in Grant County

But two school-houses were in the county at this time. One of these was on Forklick Creek, near where Chas. W. Porter now lives. This house was built of small round logs, 14 x 16 feet, and covered by...

First Circuit Court

The first Circuit Court was held at the house of Henry Childers on the 5th day of May, 1820, Hon. John Trimble presiding. The Grand Jury of this Court were John Marksbury, foreman; Dixon Tongate,...

First Court; Tavern Rates Established

In the bill it was provided that the county should have seven Justices of the Peace, who should meet at the house of Henry Chiders, still standing on the west side of the turnpike, about one hundred...

Star Building Materials

Brick, Roofing, Retaining Walls, Steel, Mortar, Building Materials. Star Building Materials is a family owned and run business with a great reputation in the building materials industry. Since...

Fire

In 1864 a second fire destroyed the wooden tavern building of James Collins, on the corner of Main and Cynthiana streets; also destroying many small tenements connected therewith. The old stable and...

First Jail

The first jail was built by Absalom Skirvin for $220. It was sixteen feet square, and was built of hewed logs, dovetailed and let down one upon the other. This jail was two stories high, and had two...