Early Development of Crittenden and Dry Ridge

Crittenden had now attained sufficient proportions to be called a town. The first settler there was David Cooper, who lived there, near where the Sechrest Hotel now stands, at the time of the formation of the county.

The first store in the town was built by Captain John W. Fenley, in which goods were sold by Dr. Samuel Singleton. A carpenter by the name of - Groom, who lived there, and who was of a drinking, waggish disposition, gave the town the name of 'Pin-Hook'-a name that it bore until the year 1834, when Mrs. Mary A. Fenley, wife of Capt. John W. Fenley, gave it the name of Crittenden, after the Hon. John J. Crittenden, who was then Kentucky's most popular statesman.

The history of Crittenden is that of a pleasant and enterprising little village of refined and cultivated people. Like almost all other country towns, it has been several times partially destroyed by fire. It now has a population of about 400, and, perhaps, the largest and best assorted dry goods store in the county. R. L. Collins has a large steam corn and flouring mill that is second to no other institution of the kind in the county.

The first settler in Dry Ridge was James Theobald, and its favorable locality has made it quite a thorough-going little town, and since the construction of the Cincinnati Southern Railroad, bids fair to rival both Crittenden and the county-seat in point of business.