William Arnold Log Home

Javascript is required to view this map.
Locations
William Arnold Log Home & Museum
Williamstown, KY 41097
United States
Ads



It is located at 214 North Main St. behind the Baptist Church Circa 1811, was home of the founder of Williamstown. A handmade sign greets visitors as they walk in the door.

William Arnold was a Revolutionary War & Indian War veteran who came to Kentucky in an early day and finally settled in that part of Campbell County which eventually became Grant County in 1820.  In that year he offered the county’s early leaders 25 acres on which to build a county seat, supplying the first settlers with water, firewood, and lumber. Williamstown named for him, a Capt. in Revolution and Lieut. in Maumee Indian Campaign of 1790.

The area boasted and abundance of huge tall Yellow Poplar and other hard woods with trunks from four to five feet thick. Mr. Amold used these huge trees to construct a large two story log house with connecting kitchen. This log house  is listed on a map identifying Amold's property in the Oavens and Craig survey of 1811.

The William Arnold Family Cemetery:

The William Arnold Family Cemetery, which is located on the grounds of the log house that was Capt. Arnold's home.  The Williamstown Baptist Church is the structure with the spire to the right. The house itself is located atop the site of at least one grave, that of Nathaniel Stewart, whose tombstone lies nearby.  The beams lie across the site of other graves of the Arnold & Tully families.  The William Arnold Log House is situated on the grounds of the William Arnold Family Cemetery. Recently The cemetery extends from the concrete platform, where William Arnold & wife are buried, to the old fireplace.

Location:

214 N. Main St.
Located behind Williamstown Baptist Church

Visiting schedule:

Memorial Day weekend

Contact:

William Arnold Log Home & Museum
Grant County News Publisher
Ken Stone
P.O. Box 247
Williamstown, Ky. 41097
E-mail: kst...@grantky.com
Phone:(859) 824-5888 (FAX)

Contact:

William Arnold Log Home for group tours
Phone: 859-824-9202

People who visits William Arnold Log Home, also may find interest in following listings . . .

William Arnold Log Cabin

Built in the early 19th century, this was once the home of William Arnold, founder of Williamstown. The two story house is constructed of huge poplar logs with a wood shingle roof characteristic...

Freund, Freeze & Arnold

Freund, Freeze and Arnold, a regional litigation firm, represents businesses, health care providers, professionals, governmental entities, insurance companies, and individuals. The firm’s strength is...

Grant County Historical Society

The Grant County Historical Society was founded in 1976 and is dedicated to preserving the history of Grant County for future generations. There are over 300 mem¬bers located in 34 states. Among the...

General Marquis Lafayette comes to Grant County

We must not here forget to state that in the year 1824 General Marquis Lafayette, who, next to the Father of our Country, is dear in the hearts of the American people, passed through our county on...

John Ford Stone House

John Ford Stone House is the registered places in Grant County, KY. It is a 7 acres building in Grant County - S of Elliston, Elliston. Also known as Ford, John House. Features Of John Ford Stone...

Early Development of Williamstown

But we must now notice briefly some of the material improvements of the county. In 1822 there were twenty-five acres of land condemned by Mr. Arnold for the town of Williamstown, which was surveyed...

New Court House

The new Court House was built by William Arnold for the sum of $2,199, paid in three equal annual instalments. It was a brick building, two stories high, thirty four feet long by thirty feet wide....